RE: Cookies and Mercs

Poster: "Jeffrey C. Sussman" <JSussman@erols.com>

Greetings from Richard!

I believe that the various armored dummies (or meats) tests are invalid.

The "Telling Blow" concept is not about cutting through an opponents armor.
It is about disabling an opponent.  Of course, cutting through the armor (as
with a spear) is a fine way of disabling an opponent.  But for most blows,
in particular head blows, a telling blow would not cut the head off but
rather stun or concuss the opponent and end the fight.

Recently one senior marshal suggested using pigs in armor to test this
effect.  Those of you from pig farms might be able to answer the question of
telling when a pig is stunned or concussed.  I'm a city boy, I'd have no
idea.

Just because a medieval sword won't normally cut a medieval full helm in
half doesn't make it an ineffective weapon.

Yours in Service to Atlantia,
Duke Richard Fitzgilbert
(Jeffrey Sussman)