True SCA Story

Poster: rmhowe <magnusm@ncsu.edu>

Re: [Fwd: True SCA Story?]
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:25:12 -0500
From: "Mark.S Harris" <rsve60@email.sps.mot.com>
          To: magnusm@ncsu.edu

Greetings,

I believe this story or at least this version has been mutated a bit in
the passage of time. I have appended several messages, found in my
SCA-Stories-msg file in my Florilegium below that was written almost
ten years ago.

It is possible that similar incidents have happened multiple times over
the years, however there are enough details in common between this story
and that related in the message I've appended that I think it is just a
later variation.

Stefan li Rous
stefan@texas.net

> From:    Dave Aronson
> To:      Justin du Coeur MKA Mark Waks
> 05-Dec-89 09:54pm
> Subject: Re: Vis and the Serjeant
>
> Unto all the good gentles of the Kingdom (?) of Rialto, I send greetings!
>
>  > Now, the gentleman in the tower above them was a worldly sort, who had
>  > encountered emissaries from our Kingdoms before. Noting Vis' inimitable
>  > style, he called down to the Serjeant, "Hey, ask him if he's in something
>  > called the SCA."
>  >
>  > The Serjeant leaned over to Vis, and shortly yelled back, "He says that
>  > he is. What's that mean?"
>  >
>  > The fellow in the tower said, "Means you can't beat him."
>  >
>  > Whereupon Vis tapped the Serjeant on the shoulder, and spoke to him a
>  > moment more. The Serjeant called up to the tower, "He's says he's a
>  > Knight. What's *that* mean?"
> >
>  > Sayeth the tower, "Means *they* can't beat him, either."
>
> The way I heard it, the gentle was not named, but the conversation went:
>
> Tower: "Ask him if he's in the SCA."
>
> Sarge: "He says he is.  What's that mean?"
>
> T: "It means he knows how to use the thing.  Ask him if he's a knight."
>
> S: "He says he is.  What's that mean?"
>
> T: "It means you can't beat him.  Ask him if he's a duke."
>
> S: "He says he is.  What's that mean?"
>
> T: "It means *THEY* can't beat him either!"
>
>  * Origin: TIDMADT 703-370-7054: WOC 'n Woad with MEDIEVAL Echo! (1:109/120)
>

> From: whh@PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt)
> Date: 8 Dec 89 17:23:50 GMT
>
> I showed the story about Visivald in Basic Training to Duke Frederick
> of Holland last night.  He relates that Vis told him that the third
> time, the DI had three of his assistants help try to beat Vis--and Vis
> got all 4 of them . . .
>
> The final "exercise" of the pugil-stick training was a "bear pit"
> operation.  All the recruits were given pugil-sticks a put in
> a large pit.  Only one is supposed to come out.  After seeing what
> Vis had done to the DI, everybody left him alone.  When there
> was one other recruit left, Vis walked over to him and asked--
>
> "Shall I hit you, or do you just want to fall down?"
>
> The other recruit elected to fall down without being hit and Vis
> walked out . . . .
>
> Flieg is also fond of what happened to Theoderick of Skane one
> day.  Theoderick pulled into a 7-11 lot and as he got out of his
> car three young tuoghs came toward him.  He'd been fighting for a
> few months at the time.  He reached into the back seat and pulled
> out a field-legal sword.  On of the toughs took one look and told
> his friends--  "Look out!  He's SCA!  He'll beat the shit out of us!"
> Needless to say--the gang left abruptly.
>
>      --Hal
>
>         Hal Ravn, Province of the Mists, West Kingdom
>         Wilson H. Heydt, Jr.,  Albany, CA 94706,  415/524-8321 (home)
>
> Hal Heydt                    |Surely the end of the world is at hand:
> [...]

Magnus, The Khan's Own Intelligence Service, GDH  :)