Re: True SCA Story

Poster: Erikawful@aol.com

In a message dated 2/10/99 11:50:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, magnusm@ncsu.edu
writes:

> > Flieg is also fond of what happened to Theoderick of Skane one
>  > day.  Theoderick pulled into a 7-11 lot and as he got out of his
>  > car three young tuoghs came toward him.  He'd been fighting for a
>  > few months at the time.  He reached into the back seat and pulled
>  > out a field-legal sword.  On of the toughs took one look and told
>  > his friends--  "Look out!  He's SCA!  He'll beat the shit out of us!"
>  > Needless to say--the gang left abruptly.
>  >
>  >      --Hal
>  >

>From the book "Pool Cues, Beer Bottles, and Baseball Bats, a manual of
expedient weapons", by Marc ("Animal") MacYoung:

In one section of the book he describes various stances you might see in an
opponent during a fight - watch out for kendo jocks, fencers, etc. Then comes
a sketch of something looking vaguely Oldcastle-ish, described as "the SCA
stance". Quoting as best I recall,

"Remember those medieval types I mentioned in an earlier chapter? If you see
this stance, DON'T GO NEAR THE GUY. It's goofy-looking, but if you get in
range, you'll get your ass blasted across the county line. Problem is, you
don't know WHICH county line it'll be. They can hit you from any direction..."

He also suggests looking the SCA up for training in full-contact sword and
polearm.

Erich