Re: The Taxman Cometh

Poster: Beiskaldi@aol.com

In a message dated 2/21/99 3:02:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, mbutter@silent-
tower.org writes:

>  They are evil, but hardly necessary. This country got along quite until
>  the 1930s with NO income tax, and for many years after that with a
>  purely voluntary income tax (no one had to pay, they could pay if they
>  wished).

This country got along quite well without a number of things until then also,
such as decent medical care, roads (when did you think I95 was built?), real
law enforcement, grants and loans for students to go to school--many things
even you benefit from.  We discuss the size of the kingdom, principalities,
other kingdoms, Estrella & Lilies Wars in regards to distance, something that
wouldnt even be a consideration to most of us if it werent for the interstate
system, funded by taxes.  We have educations from public schools, and have
access to historical data because of taxes.  We have police, fire and rescue
personnel who get the injured fighers off the field & to the hospital in part
because of taxes.  I wont argue the necessity of taxes, only say that they are
there and if you dont like them you really dont have to stay--you have many
places to choose from.

The federal income tax as we know it today *is* relatively new, but taxation
is not--Romans had it, probably earlier civilizations, medieval society (and I
am sure there are plenty others here that can discuss the Domesday list and
medieval tax collections with more knowledge than I have.)

My original point was not the issue of taxes, but merely to indicate that
government employees who deal with them should not be a target.  Yes, the IRS,
along with many other agencies, makes policies; as I dont work for that one I
cant say where in the organization they are made.  However, I can say from
experience with my employer, ergo very likely with the feds also, that it is
*not* the employees who have to process the returns when they are filed.

lady thyra