[fwd] [Mid] Another Society observation

Poster: James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain <alasdair.maciain@snet.net>

Forwarded, with permission, from the Middlebridge:

>From: "Dave Smith" <dsmith@mcscon.com>
>To: <sca-middle@midrealm.org>
>Subject: [Mid] Another Society observation
>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 07:45:43 -0500
>
>Greetings all!
>
>I have another observation on the way that things have changed in my years
>in the Society.   This is purely my observation, and your mileage may
>vary...  Since I joined in AS XX, I have noticed the gradual death of "being
>in personna."  Back then, it seems that there was more of an effort to act
>out the role that we had chosen for ourself.  There was less talk of
>"mundane" subjects at events, etc.  Even on the way to events, we would
>start to shift into our alter egos.  It was a great way to put aside the
>world of (then school) for a while, and actually be this period person who
>could interact with other period people.  Myself and a few friends of mine
>actually caused a few heads to turn and look oddly at us last year, whenever
>we referred to Baron Eirik as "my liege" at an event.
>
>Is it just the acceleration of technology in our everyday lives that is
>causing this?  Is it the fact that we are so overwhelmed by the sheer volume
>of work that we do for work or school, that it has become that difficult to
>put it aside for a day? I don't know, but I do wonder.  I used to remark
>that there were dozens of people who I knew, whose "real" names I had no
>idea of.  Now there are folks I know, who's personna name I have never
>heard.  I keep having to go up and say things like "Hey Joe, what _is_ your
>SCA name?"
>
>Has anyone else noticed this trend?  If so, what steps are you taking to
>address it if any?
>
>I'm not old enough to be an oldtimer!
>Regards,
>Sgt. Ky'lan hinn Vargr
>
>From:  "Dave Smith" <dsmith@mcscon.com>
body.

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie  [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and
in chief two mullets sable