RE: [fwd] [Mid] Another Society observation

Poster: E L Wimett <silverdragon@Charleston.Net>

Some of it is geographic; some of it personal.  I don't think it is a "things were better then" type of thing.

"Persona development" is something that a lot of people just never did.  I know several people who have been in over 30 years (including several people who were at the First Event) who have never felt the need to decide precisely when and where they were from and create a fictitious history for their persona.  Nor have I.  As Frederick of Holland is Frederick (alias Flieg), I am Alisoun (occasionally alias Bambi).

I (almost) always introduce myself as Alisoun.  (The exceptions are usually when I meet someone with a friend we share in common who will probably place the metatag Bambi with more accuracy).  However, for many people there a lots of Alisouns (in various spellings) and only a few Bambis.  (In most kingdoms, I've been the only one and --- if you look at life on an interkingdom level --- I am probably the "default Bambi" for an awful lot of people having served as a national officer, a long-time heraldic commentator and Pennsic War Herald.)

This has always been the case and the situation goes back a looooong time.  One anecdote tells it all.  Many years ago in a kingdom far far away (well not so far from where I am now in Tear-Sea's Shore), I was autocrat for John Bearkiller's second Coronation.  (I SAID it was a long time ago, A.S. XIV, I think, though it may be XIII since the memory goes when you age.)  Late in the event, one of the local everything Nazis (we had them then too!) was haranguing me about everything that she thought should have been done differently.  (She was very impressed with herself since she had come from the West to Meridies which she considered primitive in the extreme.)  Just as she had reached the apex of her complaints --- that I had allowed some people for whom the Coronation was their first event to call me "Bambi" without initiating a nuclear strike on them --- I heard a loud cry of "Baaaam-biiiii" from the neighbouring hill where some pick up battles were going on.  I gave her my de!
!
epest court courtesy, smiled graciously and departed saying "I'm sorry, my lady, I have to go.  My king is calling me."

Alisoun who is feeling VERY old this evening. . .