FW: Kilt Question!

Poster: "Susan and Frank Downs" <sfdowns@pinn.net>

----------
From: "Susan and Frank Downs" <sfdowns@pinn.net>
To: "James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain" <alasdair.maciain@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Kilt Question!
Date: Thu, Feb 25, 1999, 6:52 PM

>>Um, er - I admit that the Great Kilts that I've helped with we, ah, well -
>>we sewed a little line of stitching where the belt covers. Three times
>>(back, forth, back again) has been the usual. The fabric still drapes as it
>>should, it can be hung over a couple of chairs to dry, and though kinda
>>bunchy, it still serves quite well as a blankie (being 60" in width). I
>>know it's considered "cheating" by the purists - but I challenge them to
>>convince me that no one ever took the easy way and just tacked those pleats
>>in place!
>
>I just plain cheated - Philippa sewed belt loops onto my breacan feile, one
>per pleat.  I just feed the belt through the loops (making sure it goes
>through *all* of them, buckle it, and then square things away.  The top of
>the kilt covers the belt loops completely, so you can't tell they're there.

Sheesh!  So many ways to cheat on a simple little thing like a kilt!  You'd
think this was the Society for _Creative_ Anachronism or sumpin'!

Callum, a.k.a. Naro, a.k.a. Frank, a.k.a. a guy whose head needs shrinkin',
and who's more than a bit worried that so many ways of cheating are coming
from past and current Marinus officials!