Re: Regional Dance Practice - Sunday 3/7

Poster: Jim Trigg <jtrigg@hoflink.com>

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 SCAVard@aol.com wrote:

> Scriptsit Blaise:
>
> > Bi- is every two.  Semi- is every half (or twice each).
> > Biennial (bi-annual) is every two years, semi-annual is twice a year.
> > Bi-monthly is every two months, semi-monthly is twice a month.  (A semi is
> > half a truck; the tractor is the other half.)

> Hmmm....okay, since I seem to be having difficulty with this particular part
> of the English language, I'll just say "EVERY OTHER WEEKEND" and let it go at
> that.

Well, every other weekend is neither bimonthly nor semimonthly -- it's
biweekly (after all, some months have five weeks).

> PS - If bicycles are every other cycle, what are the rest of them?

Tricycles and motorcycles, of course. ;->

Bimonthly is an interval of two months; bicycles are vehicles with two
wheels (two cycles).

Blaise the arrant pedant