I'm a geek (was: No nerds here)

Poster: SCAVard@aol.com

Lest anyone think I was passing judgement, I *am* as geeky as the next guy.
Witness:

- In high school, I was captain of the chess club, I loved running the A/V
equipment in class, I was a teacher's aide, an officer in the Junior ROTC,
and I played first violin in the orchestra.  I played catcher for the
baseball team, was waterboy for the basketball team, wore polyester slacks,
had a Star Wars poster (from Burger King) in my bedroom, and I *dug* watching
Battlestar Galactica on ABC.  During my senior year, instead of going to
Florida or lounging around at home for spring break, I went on an AFS student
exchange to Wisconcin and (get this) went to somebody else's school during my
vacation.

- I went to college on an academic scholarship (geek!), and studied Math and
Computer Science.  (Back then, Comp Sci was primarily "programming".  I can
speak FORTRAN, COBOL and RPG II with the best of them!)  As part of that
curriculum, I wrote an Analog Simulation Program for which I hold a
documented copyright from the Library of Congress.  During my junior year, I
was invited to the Missouri Academy of Science's annual convention to present
work I performed analyzing the probabilities and the investment opportunities
of the board game "Monopoly".  I was the only undergraduate Math student
state-wide invited.  (If you play, buy the orange group!)  I took the
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) my senior year because I wanted to go to Grad
school.  I aced it, scoring high enough to be invited to join Mensa, which I
did because I figured it would look good on my resume.

- 15+ years later, I'm a card-carrying member of the SCA, I am a charter
member of the Maryland Babylon 5 Fan Club (B5MD) (including the B5-inspired
"PSICORP" license plates for my car), and I have a photo on the wall of me
and my dear (and dying) friend Doug Hall at Super Bowl XXIII, with me in my
Bengal jersey, face paint, and orange-and-black afro-style fright wig. And
I'm *finally* taking those grad classes, going to Johns Hopkins, geek-central.

Yes I am a geek, and I can spot a geek at 50 paces.  Based on the lack of a
line in front of the Lexington Park Sony Cinemas this morning, I concluded
that the geek-quotient here in Southern Maryland is much lower than many
other places.  I stand by this observation.

(And this probably explains why Dun Carraig is hurting for new members.  Too
rural, not enough geeks.)

-Vard, geek extraordinare!