Re: Period Dances

Poster: "Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy@lan2wan.com>

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Hank Harwell wrote:

> I have in my possession two different recordings of a piece of music
> called "Saltarello."  I have very scanty documentation for it, primarily
> one recording is labelled "Medieval Music".  It sounds like it might be a
> dance.  In fact the other recording is by a Christian "Renaissance Rock"
> artist named Kemper Crabb and is a prelude to an original piece of his
> called "The Danse."

I believe it's a 14th or 15th century Italian dance form.  The musical
group 'Dead Can Dance' recorded one of these on their album 'Aion' a few
years back.  I've found MIDI versions of several variations of this dance
form on a few period music websites also.

Istvan Dragosani
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy