Re: Medieval Source for Movie

Poster: "Rowanwald Central" <rownwald@gte.net>

The Book (I'm holding one edition of it in my hand - and yes, it IS
hard to type that way), is called "Eaters of the Dead" by Michael
Crichton, Ballantine Books, ISBN 0-345-38324-9.  To quote the author,

   "On reflection, I realized I already knew of
such a person. In the tenth century, an Arab
named Ibn Fadlan had traveled north from
Baghdad into what is now Russia, where he
came in contact with the Vikings. His manu-
script, well-known to scholars, provides one
of the earliest eyewitness accounts of Viking
life and culture. . . . I obtained the existing
manuscript fragments and combined them,
with only slight modifications, into the first
three chapters of "Eaters of the Dead". I then
wrote the rest of the novel in the style of the
manuscript. . . "

Rosine

"Nobility depends not on parentage or place of birth,
 but on breadth of compassion and depth of loving kindness.
If we would be noble, let us be greathearted."
Rowanwald Central rownwald@gte.net