Re: Strawman Police

On Thu, 22 Dec 1994, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Dec 22, 14:56, Lance Harrop wrote:
>
> > The question is, then, how medieval is enough?  I can not even begin to
> > imagine trying to sew my clothes by hand.  If this means that I never get
> > an award or win a contest for clothes, so be it.  However, I would still
> > like to play the game.  I try to look appropriate, wear appropriate
> > shoes, and so on.  However, I am not quite ready to give up on wearing my
> > modern eyeglasses, if for no other reason then that there are somemany
> > good looking ladies around.  If the stopping point is where ever the
> > "more medieval" person will go, then you will always find someone "more
> > medieval" then yourself.
>
> Tweeeeeeeeeeet!
>
> As a constable in the Cheapside Strawman Police force, I must issue a
> ticket for strawman assault. Actually, this is an excellent example of
> the strawman situation. Have you met someone who said that you _must_
> wear hand-stitched and woven clothes, or you aren't good enough? Have
> you met someone who _demanded_ that you take off your glasses?

Okay Constable, I confess.  I have never been approached about my glasses
or my seams.  I have been about my fabrics, though.  The fact is, I just
feel a little guilty about the glasses, as they seem to be the most
non-period item I wear.  I would like to make period, but comfortable
glasses sometime, even though they would be anachronistic for my persona
(10th C Anglo-Dane from the midlands).  The point is not that I have been
accosted by the AP about these things, the point is whether I should be
hand sewing or using period fabrics or wearing period glasses.  I
wouldn't allow the AP to define what I should do, so why should I define
what I should do in reference to what the AP harps.

(SNIP)

> Greg 'o Isenfir
> A Strawman Constable of Cheapeside

In Service