What is "the sweating sickness"?

Greeting from Manus MacDhai!

I am reading a book on Henry VIII and I keep coming across references
to the "sweating sickness" in England in the period 1490-1515.   Does
anyone know what caused this illness and what we would call it
today?   I don't remember the exact symptoms as described but the
victim would break into a heavy sweat and turn bright red.  The time
from onset of the symptoms and death was in the order of hours to
days.  I will have to review the section for a more indepth
description of the symptoms.

Thank you!

-- Manus MacDhai
   Kappellenberg