A Song

Good gentles,
	This is not an original song, but is from and Irish Music tape. I
find it delightfut however and so, with a few changes to make it less
modern, I present it here.Picture a worker on a cathedral in period...

Bricks:

Dear Boss I write this note to you to tell you of my plight
And at the time of writing I am not a pretty sight
My body is all black and blue and my face an awful gray
And I hope you'll understand why Paddy's not at work today

I was working on the Bell tower, some bricks I had to clear
And throwing them down from such a hight was not a good idea
The forman wasn't very pleased, him being an awful sod
So he said I'd have to take them down the ladder in my hod

Well moving all those bricks by hand it seemed so awful slow
So I hoisted up a barrell and secured a rope below
But in my haste to do the job I was to blind to see
That a barrell full of building bricks was heavier than me

Well I went down and cut the rope and the barrell fell like lead
And clinging tightly to the rope I started up instead
I shot up like a demon and to my dismay I found
That half way up I met the bloody barrell coming down

Well the barrell broke my shoulder as to the ground it sped
And when I reached the top I hit the pulley with my head
I still held on though numbed and shocked by this almighty blow
While the barrell spilled out half the bricks on the pavement down below

Now when the bricks had fallen from the barrell to the fall
Well I then out weighed the barrell and I started down once more
Still clinging tightly to the rope I headed for the ground
And I fell among the broken bricks that were all scattered 'round

Well as I lay there moaning, quite sure I'd past the worst
The barrell hit the pulley wheel, and didn't the bottem burst
A shower of bricks fell down on me, I never had a hope
And as I was losing conciousness, I let go the bloody rope

The barrel being heavier it started down once more
And landed there across me as I lay there on the floor
It broke three rips and my left arm and I can only say
That I hope you'll understand why Paddy's not at work today!

Hand me a cup of ale after that one lads, I'm a we bit dry. Hmm, on second
thought, Lady Anne seems to have left this bottle of scotch sitting here.
I'll just pick it up and return it to Pascal.....

						Miriam