That stupid surcharge

     Greetings, all.

     Since I've been playing autocrat again, I've been forced to trip
     across that ridiculous SCA tithe--$3 non-member surcharge. I've been
     listening in on a couple of other lines and gathering some opinions.
     Now, I'd like to know what the considered opinions of Atlantia are--at
     least in this forum?

     Personally, I think it's stupid--and should be summarily revoked.
     Unfortunately, I don't have the authority to do that--so I'm looking
     for alternatives. While it's too late for this event, I wonder what
     you would think of some alternative approaches:

        1)      Make event donation only--no surcharge is collected;

        2)      Make event donation and dinner fee--again, no surcharge;

        3)      Put a bucket out for non-member fees--they pay into bucket;

        4)      Establish a "typical Atlantian ratio" and write a check;

        5)      Just keep doing it the same old way--pay through the nose.

     The first two options could be rather risky--so I'm not convinced they
     should be used. I would be willing to *try* an event using #2--but
     only with consensus approval of my group.

     Number 3 is rather novel. Put a helm beside the troll, and leave it up
     to the non-members attending the event to pitch in *their*
     contribution to SCA, Inc. No money--we must not have had non-members
     in attendance.

     Number 4 would be set by the Great Officers of State--probably Master
     Thomas. Poll the groups--find out the ratio of members to non-members
     at most Atlantian events--assume it's good and pay SCA, Inc. Of
     course, that's assuming that groups would just take that out of profit
     but my normal numbers are running about 5% of total attendance--that's
     about $15 for each 100 folks.

     Number 5 is just status quo. I've already noted I don't like that--I
     never did. I believe Duke Anton referred to it as "blood money". That
     title probably sums it up well enough.

     So what do you folks think?
     Tadhg