Re: Question about Favors

     To lady Deoca of Elvegast, from Ianthe, greetings.

     Please excuse me for replying to your message.  The use and obligations
of
     favors were topics dear to me in ages past.  Anything I relate here is
     Ancient Eastern Usage.  I invite more modern gentles to add
descriptions of
     how such things have changed.

     The gift of a favors implies whatever you wish.  By this, I mean that
they
     signify no standard relationship.  In particular favors do not
     automatically mean the exchange of more initmate "Favors".  I have
given
     favors to signify everything from deep and abiding love; warm
friendship;
     to  encouragement or inspiration for a new fighter authorizing that day.

     Anyone may ask for or give a favor - and anyone may decline the honor
     tendered, or the request for one.  No reason beyond a warm smile, and
     thankfulness for the honor extended need be given.

     Favors may be any object, preferably of personal significance to the
     giver. They may be elaborately embroidered "dedicated favor objects" -
the
     dishtowl shaped things many people use.  In the Ancient Days, other
things
     were more popular gifts than dedicated favor objects. I have seen
people
     exchange sleeves, belts, veils, hair ornaments, ribbons, bodice lacings,

     jewelry, a lock of hair, favorite stirring spoon, a spur - in fact all
     manner of things.  The strip of embroidery Don Fernando wears is a
     dedicated object, but has stitched into the lining my original favor to

     him - a lock of my hair.  His favor to me is the silver horse pin I
always
     wear with my garb.

     Favors can be given for any period of time.  I have asked lords to
carry
     my token for an afternoon; a performance; a battle; a war week; a
tourney
     season; for an unspecified duration; or (in the case of my lord
husband)
     for life.

     The exchange of favors isn't limited to exchange between fighters and
     non-fighters.  Anyone can give or receive a favor, but they should be
aware
     that there are obligations involved.

     In the lists, (or at public performance,) the recipient is obligated to

     acknowledge the giver (bows and/or Meaningful Glances are nice
depending on
     the context).  The recipient should also realize that their conduct has
     direct reflection on the giver.  Dishonorable acts or speech taint both.

     Recipients should strive to be the models of gentility, and so render
honor
     to the giver.

     In their turn, the giver is obligated to the recipient.  Their conduct
     reflects on those they gifted.  If someone in the lists or performing
is
     wearing a person's favor, to the extent possible, the giver should be
     attentively watching, lending encouragement to their champion.  The
watcher
     should behave with decorum (for example, shrieking out insults to the
     person one's champion is fighting is not an admired behavior).

     If a favor is given with the understanding that it is for a limited
time,
     the object should be surrendered at the end of that time.  Asking to
keep
     it longer is acceptable, but unless you're Duke Merriwald (a noted
     favor-collector), accumulating a double handfull of favor objects is
seen
     as being a tad too lighthearted about giver/recipient obligations.
     Nothing however (beyond the specific understandings held with a
     Significant Other) limit anyone to bearing or giving only one favor at
     time.

     Three men currently hold my tokens:  Don Fernando; Duke Vissevald (Don
     Fernando's sword brother) and a gentle in the Middle Kingdom who I
believe
     is named Sean.  (I met this last fellow mundanely - he recognized me
from
     years past, and begged a favor from me in the middle of a business
     conference, surrounded by mundanes.  I obliged him, although obviously
     could not watch him in the lists).

     I hope this helps, and I hope I have tread on no toes, posting the
     behavior standards of a time long ago, and far away.

     -Ianthe d'Averoigne                                kim.salazar@em.doe.
gov
<Zero length text item>