Question about Favors

     Greetings to knowledgeable gentles gathered at the Merry Rose,

     I have a question about favors, or tokens of favor, whichever is the
     more correct way of saying it. My impression from my readings is that,
     in period, at favor was merely a piece of personal clothing, a scarf
     or sleeve or whatever, that was given to a warrior before battle. This
     was carried into battle as a good luck charm. Correct?

     My real question is about the SCA tradition of favors. First, what is
     the true significance of a favor? Secondly, if I wanted to make a
     favor, what would be most appropriate to put on it? Should I do it in
     his color or mine or both? Should it be one of our arms or just
     something pretty?

     Any help will be appreciated. This might be a good subject to write up
     and submit for the known world handbook. I checked there and couldn't
     find any info. Maybe I'll do that. Any references to sources of info
     on favors in period will be appreciated too.

     Deoca of Elvegast
     Jenny Granger
     jennyg@env.duke.edu