Vlad Tepes: The Overwhelming Response

          Greetings all....

          Rodrigo Ramirez de Valencia writes:

          >Istvan is right about "drakul" referring to the Order of the
          >Dragon...

          [deletia]

          >BTW, the reputation of Vlad Tepes, like King John of England, is
          >largely based on later opinion, rather than the attitudes of the
          >time.  While he certainly did have a fondness for stakes and
          >was, shall we say, a little wanton in his use of punishment, he
          >was not without some justification (at least in his own eyes).

          Wanton in his use of punishment. I'm going to write that down:-)

          >He was a great "hero" of the defence against the Turks and his
          >massacre of the boyars was justifiable (in his view) because
          >they were traitors -- to him as their lord, and therefore to the
          >kingdom and more importantly, to the faith.  It wouldn't be
          >totally unreasonable to compare his suppression of the boyars to
          >the suppression of the Jacques during their rebellion in France
          >in the mid-14th century or the German peasants in their
          >rebellion in the early 16th.  His methods were merely more mass
          >productive -- sort of a Henry Ford does the Inquisition.

          Certainly he was ruthless in his defense against the Turks. This
          is to be expected of the uncivilized living outside England and
          France :-) but to compare it with the rebellion of the Jacquery,
          well, I don't know about that. After all they were just peasants.

          And then Tibor essentially agrees and says:

          >There are one or two Magyarul fluent people on the net. Send me
          >private email, if you would like me to drag them into it.

          It's ok I believe you.

          After which Istvan says:

          >From what I've gathered, 'drakul' originally meant 'dragon', and
          >the association with 'devil' was by proxy.

          [and some other interesting information about the origins of
          things which have been sacrificed to the bandwidth gods]

          To all of which I answer:

          Oh. OK. Nevermind.

          This, of course, is why I very carefully did not say anything
          along the lines 'Istvan, you are absolutely dead wrong' or the
          ever hateful 'BZZZT!'. I appreciate the various lessons and the
          tone with which they were presented. That's what happens when an
          Englishman raised in France talks about things that happened over
          by China a hundred years before his birth.

          Richard du Guesclin
          Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
          davis.jim@epamail.epa.gov