Alembic (was: Re: Pottery, Clay and everything!)

> I was wondering if any one here could put me on the trail of a reference
> source that might have information on the Arabic/middle eastern/Persian
> distilling devise called an ilumbec or an alumbec.

The English corruption of that Arabic word is somewhat more common:
try "alembic".

One good, if rather aged, reference, is _Crucibles: The Story of
Chemistry_, by Bernard Jaffe. There are various editions out,
including one from Dover, one from Simon and Schuster, etc. I
first read it when I was eleven, about 37 years ago. It's a good
read.

--
udsd007@ibm.okladot.state.ok.us
Michael Fenwick of Fotheringhay, O.L. (Mike Andrews)  Namron, Ansteorra