Wolf Story

Greetings, fellow taverners!

I would like to relate a fabulous story I heard, so I will.

Late on a summer evening, two shepherds sit under the stars,
enjoying some mutton stew.  Suddenly their flock grows quiet,
and the hairs rise on the back of each shepherds neck.  They
glance about nervously, and there, at the edge of the firelight,
they see the shadowy grey form of a wolf.  Before either can
react, the wolf speaks.

"Why is it", says she, "when you come across _me_ eating mutton,
you call me wicked?"  Then she bounds off into the darkness.

-- Ed Hopkins