Re: Doggeral

Uther writes:

>But it is done by other means because of the fear of reprisals.  To
>quote Sir Klaus, "We can all have fun shunning him in person."  If I
>understand Klaus correctly, this is more in response to the anonymous
>part rather than the honor part.

There are two things going on with this doggerel. One is an opinion that
is not popular with a certain segment of the kingdom.  People are
absolutely allowed to hold any opinion they choose.  They are absolutely
free to voice their opinion. (False facts are a whole different matter.)
In this case we have what can be viewed as a personal attack. An attempt
to injure or make someone feel bad in order to effect changes. Ok.
Rather base motives, but arguably permissable.

The second is that the opinion is delivered anonymously. This is what
really annoys me. Striking a blow such as this from hiding is base
cowardice! If you are going to voice an opinion, at least have the
courage to stand up and take ownership of it! Those who agree will
agree. Those people who disagree will disagree. Yes, a person can voice
their opinions, but they must be willing to accept the results. If I
don't like what you say, I may give you my opinion back. I have that
right! But your anonymity takes that right away from me!

My Pet Peeve is people who refuse to take responsibility for themselves
and their actions. We have silly waiver rules because of this problem.
This anonymous doggerel is another example. Here we have someone who
runs down members of the kingdom, but doesn't want to face the
consequences.

And the consequences are not that bad! It is not as if government storm-
troopers are going to show up in the middle of the night to take this
person away. Let's look at the consequences....

[1] People could tell this person that they are a dishonorable character
    assassin. This is an opinion. Turn about is fair play.

[2] People could shun the person and not play with them. Ok. If your
    perceptions are so different from theirs, why would you want to
    associate with them anyway? And if no one wants to play with this
    person because of these opinions, shouldn't that tell this person
    something?

[3] Cuan could banish this person. Ok. So this person won't get to play
    in the same events as Cuan. Based on the doggerel, this person
    doesn't believe that this will be very many events. (If they DON'T
    really believe it, then we have a whole different problem!)

[4] Assuming an authorized fighter, someone could challenge this person
    to combat. So? This person has the right to refuse any challenge.
    (Ref., Rules of the List) They may hear noise about cowardice. But
    they are now anyway. And now we are back to opinions....

[5] Someone could "take matters into their own hands" and assault this
    person (in or out of the Lists). Ok. A real concern. (But so is
    getting mugged for your wallet...) Stay out of dark alleys, get your
    friends to watch your back,  and appeal to the Chivalry for aid if
    anything goes down. The interesting thing here is that the people
    who have the most reason to feel insulted by this person would still
    do their best to keep this person from having their rights (e.g.,
    freedom from injury) from being infringed on.

The sin is not having an unpopular opinion. Lots of people have those
without spreading them about. The sin is not voicing an unpopular
opinion. The sin is lack of responsibility. This person didn't have to
voice the opinion at all and certainly could have voiced in a more
constructive fashion. But they made the bed they did and should be ready
to sleep in it!

Klaus