Re[2]: Doggeral

Greetings, all.

On Tue, 23 May 1995, Jeff Tyeryar wrote:

>> "Questioning honor" as Uther puts it, is an honorable act - if done with
>> honor.  Done by other means, we call it slander.

And on Wed, 24 May 1995, Uther responded:

>But it is done by other means because of the fear of reprisals.  To quote Sir
>Klaus, "We can all have fun shunning him in person."  If I understand Klaus
>correctly, this is more in response to the anonymous part rather than the honor
>part.

I believe you're half right--Klaus was referring to the anonymous part. However,
I believe he was ALSO referring to the honor part--both at the same time. Or
rather, the LACK of honor associated with the anonymous posting.

You'll remember Klaus made reference to the "knot in the pit of [the author's]
stomach". Fear. It is the primordial element of such things as cowardice and
slander--and wholly absent from honor.

As for comparing the doggerel with the embarrassment of last year's Champions
Battle fallout, you might be reminded that we know all the people involved
there...they were quite evident--and hardly bashful about their opinions. This
cur hides in the shadows to foment his opinions...too afraid to speak his mind
openly.

Regards,
Tadhg