Re[4]: Air at Pennsic - some ideas

Tadhg replies to my suggestion for coping with
    hot weather:

     Ianthe's missive about making oneself cool in the Holy Lands are
     wonderful suggestions. I know myself of what she speaks--we use them
     extensively in what are referred to as Ansteorra, Outlands, and
     Adenveldt. The problem is Acre (like the provinces I mentioned) tend
     to have a relative humidity between 0% and 20%. Evaporative cooling is
     most effective there.

     On some days at Pennsic, you will find that Nature is on your side and
     such an adaptation will be marvelous. But if the day seems sticky,
     your "arbor" will seem stickier.

     I do not wish to dissuade anyone from the attempt. I don't know enough
     about the Pennsic environment to guess whether it would work. A good
     dry Pennsic...considering last year, we're about due for one...and the
     denizens of the Plains could stay quite cool and comfortable.

     I, for one, will see if I can manage an attempt...a cool spot on the
     Sarangheti...how wonderful.

     Tadhg

    To Tadhg from Ianthe, fair (and mostly uncloudy) greetings,

    While I've missed out on recent Pennsics, I did get to a double
    handfull in the Ancient Days.  You are absolutely correct in
    pointing out that such devices in humid weather are useless.
    About half the wars I went to were rainy for the entire length
    of four days (don't laugh).  The rest were either bone dry, or
    mostly dry with one afternoon or evening rain.  Only one was
    not excessively hot during the day.  That one was pleasant
    until nightfall - when we all froze.  Today's longer-lasting
    wars are sure to encounter more rain than we did - just because
    people are tented longer waiting for it.

    My point is that it is quite likely that a given Pennsic day
    will be hot, about a half/half chance that it will be dry.  On
    those dry days, the damp sheet arrangement might help.  On hot,
    humid, airless days, nothing does except a booming good
    thunderstorm - not exactly something to look forward to in a
    tent city.

    -I.                                 kim.salazar@em.doe.gov