Re[2]: Chairs

Again with repaired picture:

Lady Rhiannon asks:

> Does anyone know of someone who makes and sells good chairs at a reasonable
> price?  I'm looking for something that breaks down fairly easily and doesn't
> fall apart when someone sits in it (like director's chairs do).

There is a rather nifty chair, sometimes called the Markland chair, that
is easy to make and very solid. It requires a 6 to 8 foot 2x10, and you
can get one at your local lumber yard.

You cut the board into two lengths of about 36 to 48 inches. On piece
get a square hole in it about two inches by four inches and placed roughly
12 inches from the bottom of the piece. The second piece has bits cut off
it to form a tongue the same size as the hole, and about 3/4s of the length
up the board. The tongue then goes in the hole and voila, you have a chair.
I will try to do some drawings here so you can see what I mean.

 piece 1   piece 2
 _________               _________
 |       |               |       |
 |       |               |       |
 |       |               |       |
 |       |               |       |
 |       |               --|   |--
 |       |                 |   |
 |       |                 |   |
 |       |                 |   |
 |       |                 |   |
 |       |                 |   |
 |  ___  |                 |   |
 |  | |  |                 |   |
 |  ---  |                 |   |
 |       |                 |   |
 |       |                 |   |
 |       |                 |   |
 |       |                 |   |
 ---------                 -----

The chair sets up like this, as seen from the side:

       \
         \
           \
             \
               \
                 \        /
                   \    /
                     \/
                    /  \
                  /      \
                /          \

Naturally ASCII characters don't lend themselves well to scale drawings.
Ths angles are less sharp than shown here, and the tongue actually sticks
out the back farther than show. But you get the idea. I'll measure mine
at home tonight to get you more accurate measurements. But for ease of use
and storage, this can't be beat. It's just two boards that fit tab A into
slot B.

In service,
Corun

--
   Corun MacAnndra   |   The first rule of intelligent tinkering
 Dark Horde by birth |         is to save all the pieces.