Re: The Universality of the Recognition of Peers

Unto the denizens of the Merry Rose at Cheapside Quai does Richard of La
Rochelle send greetings!

I'll try to avoid my typical bomb throwing......

Dafydd writes ];
]Dafydd greets you all,

]Leifr writes:

]>But let me also raise two additional points about the "We RECOGNIZE
]>peers" philosophy.  First of all, what happens when peers from another
]>kingdom Recognize a worthy candidate from Atlantia whom our peerage order
]>ignores.
]There is a hidden assumption of homogeneity here.  The question is
]written in a form that implies:
]        "What happens when [a bunch of] peers from another kingdom
]        recognize a worthy candidate from Atlantia whom [all/most of]
]        our peerage order ignores."
]Which is rather silly.  It has never happened.

Not exactly, its more likely that they appear to ignore some people.  I have
noticed that most peers are extremely discreet about their positions WRT who
should be recognized/elevated/made.

As to homogeneity: I side with Dafydd.  What Atlantians and An Tiri look for
in a peer is likely to be different, even very different.  I think the
arguments need to be expressed in functional terms, and not in
quasi-political terms.

]More moderate forms of that question have occurred: "[a few] peers"
]from another kingdom.  And they happen in the other direction also: I have
]written recommendation letters to the Eastern Monarchs regarding some
]gentles that I thought deserved a peerage.  Does this mean that the
]standards of the East are even stricter than Atlantia's?  Of course
]not.
]>Isn't it just a little embarrasing to have Eastern Laurels
]>invading an Atlantian Laurel meeting, demanding to know why someone has
]>not been made a peer?

I think one of the problems here is that sometimes "The Peers" just aren't
paying attention to that person over an extended period of time.  It helps
to get a reality check from out of Kingdom, especially if it is accompanied
by specific comments about improvements in technology, research, behavior or
whatever else.  BTW  Leifr life happens and people do sometimes devote a
great deal of energy to specific actions.  Sometimes they don't have time to
notice, other times they have candidates in mind, but are waiting for
"proof".

]Oh, my God, this invasion of Eastern Laurels will RUIN our reputation
]of INFALLIBILITY!!

Don't forget your mitre your excellency.  Damn heretics........

]Don't let your rhetoric get away from you, Leifr.  To ask if Atlantian
]standards are the same as __XX__ Kingdom is perfectly valid.  But no,
]it isn't particularly embarrassing.  And the last time we were
]invaded by a bevy of demanding Eastern Laurels, we killed them all as
]an example to any other peers who might dare to invade, and left
]their heads on spikes.  Since then, they confine their forays to
]raiding actions.

It might be fun to return the favor with an invasion, in fact I hear rumors
of it.
Chevauchee!

]>Is it possible that our values in this kingdom are
]>a little out of wack with the rest of the Society.  [...]
]Are you asking, or declaring?  Of course it is possible.  Is it
]true?  Clearly you think so.  I have an open mind.

Hmmm..... Probably.  But the important ones are very much the same.

]>Isn't Atlantia scoffing at the rest of the Society by claiming to make
"Better"
]>peers?

Gets back to the functionalist arguments......

]You'vecfound us out!  In all the peerage meetings in Atlantia, our
]major focus is scoffing at the rest of the Society.  I wonder who
]tattled...

His Excellency ought to spit out that tobacco wad before someone get the
idea his tongue is in his cheek.

Richard of La Rochelle
Argentpuke from Pontoonville

]Dafydd