hand fasting and banns

A question on SCA marriages.  It is a custom to announce banns of
marriage three times before getting married.  This is correct.  But, what
I am interested in knowing is, is this a neccesity?  What I am thinking
of is the Medieval Scottish custom of hand fasting (practiced in Scotland
from the ninth century to the Reformation).  This consisted of living
together for a period of one year, at the end of which, if you still
could stand each other, you were considered legally wed.  If you desired
ceremony, you could have the next visiting priest say a few words, but
this was not neccesary until around 1550.  All children born during that
year (hopefully only one!) were legitimate, and for that year, regardless
of the outcome, you were considered more or less married.  But this
custom did not include banns.  Banns were not a legal neccesity in
Scotland until the Reformation.  So for a SCA wedding a la Scotland,
banns would be completely out of period.  I guess what this boils down to
is, if you are having an SCA marriage, are banns a neccesity or will any
period form of wedding do?
Aye,
Eogan