Re: Re[2]: Communications Decency Act (CDA) and the SCA

On Feb 12,  2:48pm, "Chuck Graves" wrote:
> Subject: Re[2]: Communications Decency Act (CDA) and the SCA
>      Greetings, all.
>
>      Am I missing something about the CDA? I thought said Act had to do
>      with: 1) sexually explicit materials and 2) public availability to
>      minors.

Yes, that is its stated purpose, but the language (the use of the word
"indecent") is so vague, the law can be applied to probably _anything_ found
objectionable by someone.

>      Frankly, no one has taken away your right to privately post whatever
>      you damn well please.

Actually, if my memory serves me, the CDA makes internet service providers
responsible for the material that passes through them. Which may lead to wide
spread screening of their users' email messages. Besides, I'm willing to bet
that the agreement most people enter into with their service providers does
not guarantee them absolute privacy of their email.

>      Enforcement beyond that I would think: 1) absurd, 2) criminal, 3)
>      unconstitutional, and 4) impossible...in increasing degree of effort
>      (or insanity as the case may be.)

I couldn't agree more. But that doesn't mean they won't try.

>      Regards,
>      Tadhg

Hope this clarifies a few things.

Ciarn the Confuse

PS Greetings Ian and Xavier! Sorry I haven't kept up with the correspondence.
PPS Ian, do you have/still need my C++ textbook? Just curious.