Re[3]: Communications Decency Act (CDA) and the SCA

At 8:27 AM 2/13/96, Michelle Ringo wrote:
>          With regards to the standards of decency that apply -- it is
>          community.  In this case it has to be the national community
>          and Federal standards will apply.  We don't do anything that
>          this law applies to -- Taigh is absolutely correct.  Please
>          relax -- those of you who have a need to indulge in porn
>          that involves minors or in sending porn to minors  -- please
>          remain tense.
>
>          Talya

I would hesitate to speak with such certainty in this matter.  This is, in
my view, one of the worst aspects of the law.  It has created a great cloud
of uncertainty over all electronic discourse.  the most recent court ruling
on the matter, with its internal contradictions, does not help matters.
Perhaps it is merely a professional hazard, but if someone were paying me
for advice on the matter, I'd take my bawdy songs off my web-page and would
refuse to send them to anyone I didn't know was 18.

Harold Feld
SCA
Yaakov HaMizrachi

"Do not ask 'Why are these days not as good as the days of old?' This
question is not prompted by wisdom." -Eccl.