Pay to Fight (was Re: Master James)

(Hey folks, be sure to redirect followups to old threads to the ncsu.edu
address to prevent delays.)

At 12:58 PM 4/7/96 -0500, Mar Yaakov wrote:

[Many things, almost all of which I agree with. I am writing to correct a
minor error which might otherwise dilute his excellent argument.]

>Ex: After the revocation of "pay-to-fight," the Midrealm included
>pay-to-fight in its kingdom laws.  This took an act of the Midrealm curia,
>duely published in The Pale.  In Atlantia, the MOL at the time of the
>revocation simply decided it made things administratively easier if
>Atlantia kept pay to fight and unilaterally decided to keep it.  Said MOL
>then left to become princess, so her successor maintained the policy.  To
>the best of my knowledge, it is still the policy.  Yet it has never been
>formaly entered into Atlantian law by whatever process is used here for
>that.

In the April, A.S. XXX issue of the Acorn, on page 4, under "Changes to
Kingdom Law enacted by Michael and Seonaid":
"Add the following section:
16.3 To participate as a combatant (to include rapier and combat archer), an
individual must be a paid member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc."

Regards,
Duncan