     From: Colin the Blackheart <br>
     To: All  <br>
     Msg #67, 06-Jun-89 13:50mst<br>
     Subject: Power<br>
     Echo: MEDIEVAL<br>
     Thank you, Ioseph, for presenting that series on politics in the SCA.
     In a similar vein I present "Bases of Social Power", taken from notes
     and text of
     a Psychological Social Psychology class I had a year ago. Ref: Social
     Psychology, John C. Brigham, FSU, 1986, Little, Brown, & company.
     <pre>
         I have annotated and commented in the indented paragraphs like
     this
     one.
     </pre>
     <hr>
     <center><h3> Bases of Social Power </h3></center>
     actions of others</i>.
      <i>coercive, legitimate, reward, expert, referent, and
     informational.</i><br>
     change his or
     her behavior by threats and punishments. . . Although coercive power
     is
     widely used, it is often ineffective, especially when utilized against
     groups
     (Falbo, 1977). When a group is threatened with coercion, the threat
     may
     actually bring the group closer together (Tedeschi, 1974). . .
     coercive power
     may be effective in causing compliance, but it is not likely to lead
     identification or to private acceptance; the low-power person is
     likely to
     attribute his behavior to the (necessary) surveillance rather than to
     the
     worth of the behavior.
     <pre>
         I have NEVER known coercive power to work well, in the context of
         the SCA.....people tend to tell you to sit on a stick if you try
         to use this on them....or just leave the group entirely...and the
         degree of resentment/anger that the use of this provokes makes it
         something to use very seldom. The ABILITY to use it is what makes
         it powerful. The NON-USE of it, save in extreme circumstance, is
         what marks the true Leader/Statesmen from the mass of
     time-servers.
         Law Enforcement people are taught this early on, at least around
         here. They have the ultimate sanction (power of Life/Death) but
         are taught to use verbal (non-violent) or non-lethal means FIRST.
     </pre>
     officer,
     household head, pointy hat, etc). Those who have it do not have to
     justify
     their actions to those who do not (officially, anyway).
     <pre>
         Much of the actual power in the SCA derives from one or another
         form of hero-worship (referent power.) Thus, a Marshal who is
         not a Peer has a difficult time doing his job when it comes to
         the Belts.....or a simple Knight as Marshall has a difficult
         time with a Duke, and even a King...or a BoD.....with no respect
         finds that governing is much like pushing water uphill with a
     fork.
     </pre>
     praise, or
     prestige. Reward power can easily lead to compliance, but it may not
     lead to
     private acceptance. If the reward is removed, the new behavior may
     disappear.
     . . individuals may attribute their behavior to the reward rather than
     to any
     benefits of the behavior itself (overjustification effect)
     (interesting side
     effect of the merit-badge syndrome, eh?)
     <pre>
         And therefore more power is given to the Peerage Circle when they
         can advise that a candidate be given a lower-prestige award rather
         than the Peerage....we have a SERIOUS merit-badge mentality in
     some
         quarters, here..."first give them their Barony Arts award, then
     the
         Principality Arts award, then the Kingdom Arts Award, and then,
     maybe,
         if they haven't given up in disgust, the Laurel....."
         This enables some Peers to go on feeling suPEERior...or something.
     </pre>
     apply it)
     that others do not have. Chiurgeons, marshals, master (not necessarily
     Master) craftsmen, etc. can be assumed to have expert power (although
     some
     may also have legitimate power).
     <pre>
         But merely holding the office does not an expert make. And
     vice-versa.
     </pre>
     derived from the
     degree to which one is admired and liked is called referent power.
     People
     want to identify with others whom they consider admirable and
     likeable.
     Hence, people have referent power over those who wish to identify with
     them
     (cultive personality). . . Unlike reward or coercive power, referent
     power
     does not require surveillance to be effective since the motivation to
     identify with the model is not dependent on external rewards or
     punishments.
     <pre>
         But BEWARE of the person that can fake hero-worship, or believes
         it is hero-worship (admiration of an Ideal) on his part, but who
         really is only after rewards......people like this DO exist.
         The "functional sociopath" is an AMAZING, and very scary, critter.

         It is rather amusing to watch those who THINK they have Referent
         power with people, when actually all they hold is coercive/reward.
         This makes for some VERY interesting situations, as a person with
         referent power can command loyalty....while the coercive/reward
         CANNOT.
      </pre>
     others do
     not. The eyewitness to an arguement can influence others who did not
     hear or
     even know about the arguement. Informational power is limited to the
     situation for which the information is relevant.
     <pre>
         This is one of the sources of Rumor. An individual wants to
     seem/be
         powerful, so he embroiders information....or sets out to collect
     it..
         or sets up a situation to create it.....and then becomes one of
     Those
         Who Know. In his/her mind, they become a source of Referent Power!

         The more you can base your own position on MORE THAN ONE OR TWO of
         the above, the more secure you will be. For example, a Duke of
     large
         charisma winning the Crown.....he winds up holding by all six
     quite
         nicely. HOWEVER, given the same situation with a Duke that is not
         respected.....HOO BOY! The lack of adequate referent power would
     make
         his reign a living Hell for him and the populace!
     </pre>
     <hr>
     absolute
     monarchs. I disagree. In my view, SCA kings are neither constitutional
     nor
     absolute monarchs. They are feudal monarchs. That may be less true in
     the
     West than in the East or Middle, but I think it is fundamentally true
     everywhere.

     restraints on what they can do (corpora and mundane law), the main
     constraint
     is that, as Ioseph points out, people who disagree with the king will
     walk--
     or ignore him. That is the essential feudal constraint. The defining
     characteristic of a feudal order, in my view, is that the combined
     armies of
     the barons are much larger than the army of the king. Generalizing
     that, a
     feudal order is one where the relevant resources are controlled at the
     local
     level, with the result that the king is some combination of coalition
     leader
     and charismatic leader (i.e., inspiring local people with his vision
     of what
     the organization should be doing). I think that describes our kings.

     government, but
     the government he is king over typically has a lot of centralized
     power over
     its society. Queen Elizabeth II has very limited power over her army,
     but her
     army has essentially all of the heavy weapons in Britain. An analogous
     situation for the SCA would be if most of us were employees of our
     kingdoms
     (as in a Renaissance fair), but the kingdom was run by some
     complicated
     system involving king, great officers, etc., where the king himself
     had
     severely limited power. That is not (fortunately) what the SCA is
     like.
     Almost all of the important resources (mostly human, but also
     physical)
     belong to and are controlled by the local membership.<br>
     <i>Cariadoc</i>