Re: Baron's Veto

At 12:52 PM 4/16/96 +0600, Lady Sorcha de Glys wrote:
>        I have a simple question regarding a comment made by our Baron at
>Sunday's Baronial Business meeting.  Is it true that...
>
>        "I have this little known power to veto any spending decision." -
>Baron John   ?
>
>(We were discussing the pavillion fund our barony has had for several years
>now and the Baron said he would veto any vote for a CANVAS pavillion.)
>        I tried to find references to this vote in Corpora and Red Tape and
>failed.  I am just curious if this is correct.  As an officer filling two
>votes, I am wondering if my votes are even worth anything if they can be
>instantly vetoed at The Coronets whim.   Thank you.

Oh dear. As some have mentioned, this is probably not the best forum for
this. However, the answers to this and other questions (as I suspect Sorcha
has already found) is in the Baronial Spending Policy which was passed on my
watch. According to that Spending Policy, no, the Baron and Baroness of
Black Diamond do not have veto power over expenditures.

Black Diamond does not have a baronial charter, in spite of previous
attempts to pass one which contained some rather quaint ideas about the role
of the baron and baroness. I am not convinced having a charter is a good
thing, but perhaps it may be worth reconsidering in less racorous times (in,
say, two years or so).

-Duncan
Ex-seneschal of Black Diamond
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill
(Anyone have a cross-stitch pattern for a kitty hawk favor they could send me?)