Fool's War - Highlights

     Greetings to the Merry Rose from Jonathan Blackbow!

     As we look forward to Crown Tourney this weekend, I thought that those
     who were unable to make it to Fool's War might enjoy hearing about
     some of the highlights of that event.

     Logan won the bear pit tourney and was thereby honored with command of
     the side fighting against Meridies and Co. (I guess it was Trimaris -
     I never did quite find out)

     There were two beach battles, which were fought on the shoreline next
     to a rather impressive lake.  For those who haven't ever fought in the
     sand, it's a cast-iron bitch for both sides.  Footing is marginal at
     best.  We won them both.

     Then we moved to the breach battle, with the attackers getting one
     resurrection each and the defenders, nada.  Atlantia led the charge
     down the slope and through the breach after a brief period of letting
     the spears do the work.  Although yours truly was the person who
     landed inside the hay bales, thereby bringing that engagement to an
     end (requirements for winning were that at least one person had to get
     into a set of hay bales alive) there was some confusion among the
     marshallate and the engagement was allowed to continue, which
     prolonged the fight for another minute or two.

     The defense of that same scenario was also enjoyable, since we held
     them on defense longer than they held us.

     Then came the piece d' resistance of the day - three (yes, THREE!!!)
     bridge battles - with a twist or two.

     Twist #1 (and by far the most enjoyable bridge battle I've ever been
     in) - there was a guard house on the bridge, represented by the breach
     from the previous breach battle, outlined in hay bales to form a small
     room which was the deciding point of victory; the winner was the
     person holding the room @ the end.  Each battle was supposed to last
     30 minutes; the first two did and the third one lasted only ten due to
     extreme exhaustion among the troops at large.

     The first battle was, also, (Twist #2 and also enjoyable if you like
     spears) SHIELDLESS.  Let your imaginations run wild.

     The second battle was weapon/shield, spear, or two-handed axe.
     (coincidentally enough, we just _happened_ to bring along the Viking
     axe that Kane had such fun with @ Coronation.)

     The third battle (although I wouldn't really call it a battle; it was
     more like people running into each other and then hanging on for
     mutual support) was any weapons form.

     The first battle was the most enjoyable because the outcome was in
     doubt so much of the time; the Meridiean side held the guard house for
     much of the battle, only to be pushed out of it in the last three
     minutes.

     One of the reasons this series of bridge battles was so enjoyable was
     that the existence of the guard house made it VERY clear who was
     winning (although near the end of the first bridge battle we were
     attacked by three or four members of our own side who hadn't been
     paying any attention...we promptly put red stickers on them and sent
     them on their merry way) and the guard house also gave the defenders a
     second front to worry about, since the fighting tended (except in a
     couple of instances where one side had pushed the other side
     completely off the bridge) to center around the guard house.

     Personally, I can't wait to fight a bridge battle like that one again.

     J. Blackbow, WATL News