Re: heraldry ?

  Well, I can assure you that you will get lots and lots of advice, but as
  I seem to have gotten here first, I'll also reply to the Merry Rose.

Good general advice from Leifr.  Might I also suggest: spend a little time
looking at pictures of arms from period.  Most heralds have lovely books,
that give you a good flavor of what is right, and not.  Don't browse the
Pictorial Dictionary of Heraldry: it has the good, bad, ugly, and illegal,
in equal representation.

I've found that, once people have a gentle feel for what was period looking,
they won't settle for less.

	Tibor (Herald to Carolingia)