Re: Saxon riddle

Alfredo wrote:

>On earth there's a warrior of curious origin.
>He's created, gleaming, by two dumb creatures
>for the benefit of men. Foe bears him against foe
>to inflict harm. Women often fetter him,
>strong as he is. If maidens and men
>care for him with due consideration
>and feed him frequently, he'll faithfully obey them
>and serve them well. Men succour him for the warmth
>he offers in return; but this warrior will savage
>anyone who permits him to become too proud.

I'm tempted to say a sword, but I suspect I'm wrong. So instead I'll offer a
riddle back to Alfredo, written both in Anglo-Saxon and in English. I hope
the letters þ (thorn), ð (eth) and æ (ash) come out on your readers.

Wiht cwom gongan   þær weras sæton
monige on mæðle,   mode snottre.
Hæfde an eage      ond earan twa,
ond twegen fet,    twelf hund heafda,
hrycg ond wombe    ond honda twa,
earmas ond eaxle,  anne sweoran
ond sidan twa.     Saga hwæt ic hatte.

A creature came advancing  where men sat
many in council            in mind wise
(it) had one eye           and ears two
and two feet               twelve hundred heads
back and belly             and hands two
arms and shoulders         one neck
and sides two              Say what I am called.

In service,
Corun