Re: Saxon riddle

> I'm tempted to say a sword, but I suspect I'm wrong. So instead I'll
> offer a riddle back to Alfredo, written both in Anglo-Saxon and in
> English. I hope the letters ? (thorn), ð (eth) and æ (ash) come out
> on your readers.
>
> Wiht cwom gongan   ?ær weras sæton
> monige on mæðle,   mode snottre.
> Hæfde an eage      ond earan twa,
> ond twegen fet,    twelf hund heafda,
> hrycg ond wombe    ond honda twa,
> earmas ond eaxle,  anne sweoran
> ond sidan twa.     Saga hwæt ic hatte.
>
> A creature came advancing  where men sat
> many in council            in mind wise
> (it) had one eye           and ears two
> and two feet               twelve hundred heads back and
> belly             and hands two
> arms and shoulders         one neck
> and sides two              Say what I am called.
>
> In service,
> Corun

After puzzling some time over this, the only feeble answer I can come up with is -a cask or barrel of mead or beer?  'Twas the only thing I could think of that might have 1200 heads (when poured out in mugs).  I started to say a cauldron full of stew, but that didn't seem to fit precisely either...  Pray, enlighten us!  ;-)

Miriam R.

Miriam Rachael bat Mordecai
The non-pregnant Miriam
akaThe Intriguing Miriam