Re: A tree blasted

At 08:36 5/22/96 -0400, Alfredo el Bufon wrote:

>I happened to be looking at the on-line armorial the other
>day when two pieces of armory caught my eye:
>>    Myrkewoode, Barony of
>        Ermine, a tree blasted and a chief wavy sable.
>    Lochmere, Barony of
>        Ermine, a tree blasted and eradicated and a chief wavy
>        within a bordure sable.
>>My questions are two:
>> How is it that two separate Baronies (possibly in two separate
> Kingdoms) have such badges or devices that are so similar to one
> another?
>> What do these symbols signify, and who bears them?

        A little further explanation: the Barony of Lochmere was formed from
the combination of the Barony of Myrkwood and the Shire of Arindale.  As it
was explained to me, Mirkwode had land (2 counties worth) but had dwindled
to only a few members, Arindale a good-sized populace but only Ft. Meade to
support them.
        After the merge the arms for both groups were adapted for Lochmere's
award badges.  The Blasted Oak cited above is our service award; Arindale's
arms (Per chevron sable and vert, a chevron and in base an eagle's head
erased within a laurel wreath argent) became Vert, on a chevron above an
eagle's head erased argent, two feathers sable, for the Order of the Eagle's
Feather, our A & S award.  The blue crab on Lochmere's own arms became
Fieldless, a pair of crab claws azure maintaining between them a sword
gules, for the Order of the Crab Claw, to honor those who bear all forms of
weapons in Lochmere's defense.
        The arms for Myrkwude and Arindale were not released; Lochmere still
holds them and flew all three banners at our recent On Target Archery Event.

                                                In service to Atlantia and
Lochmere,
                                                Alanna Volchevo Lesa
                                                Pursuivant, Barony of Lochmere