Re: Callahan's Bar

> >     I KNOW I can't be the only person on here who's read the "Callahan's
> >     Bar" series by Spider Robinson.
> >
> >     [Or the "Callahan's Lady" series, for that matter...]
> >

> Of course you're not.  And there the patrons were much neater about their
> breakage.  The broken glasses were mostly in the fireplace as that, rather
> than any individual, was the target of their throws.

I think that the concept there was that you would throw your glass
in the fireplace just after you had raised it in a toast so worthy
that it should be the last toast that glass ever experiences.

> [Looking forward to whatever comes next in either of the two Spider Robinson
> series while quietly listening from the back of the establishment to the
grand
> boisterous goings on.]

I'm afraid there won't be any more stories in the Callahan's Bar series,
because

        [SPOILER WARNING]

        in the one major exception to Michael's observation ("the patrons
were much neater about their breakage"), Callahan's Bar was trashed by a
small tactical thermonuclear device.  Fortunately, none of the many regulars
present at the time was injured.  (They're a tough bunch.)

-- Alfredo el Bufon

--
Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia