UA 40 class list

O Atlantians,

Here is the class list for UA 40. I hasten to add that this is not a
SCHEDULE. If you try to divine schedule information from this, you will
go cross-eyed. I will have a schedule posted on here asap.

But first, a brisk drive around the beltway, a shower and breakfast.
Won't be long before work starts.

Henry, who hasn't really GOT any NoDoz

War Propaganda in Medieval Art -Gwenneth de Bruge We will look at the art
produced in europe to justify the crusades to those staying home or
considering going.  Architecture and book Illumination will be the
primary media. 1 hour.

Period Beekeeping -Susanna Grey Research has updated truth to myth
throughout historical record.  Apocryphal tales predate and modern
technology illuminates period beekeeping.  How *did* man use hot wax and
honey?  What did he know of virgins and dancing? Find out!  Explore
period beekeeping.  (Lab optional.)  1 hour.

Intro to Juggling - Kendrick Wayfarer, Julian, et al Learn to juggle!
Impress your friends and neighbors! This class is for people who cannot
already juggle but would like to learn the rudiments of the craft. Learn
the basic 3-ball cascade, as well as more advanced skills as time allows.
Please bring juggling equipment if you have it. 1 hour.

Advanced Juggling: - Kendrick Wayfarer, Julian, et al Can you do a 3-ball
cascade?  Can you pass flaming torches? If your juggling skills lie in
this range, this is the class for you! Brush up on current skills and
learn new ones. Likely topics include advanced 3-ball tricks, ball
passing, and beginning club (knife, torch) juggling. Depending on the
experience and interest of the students, instruction in contact-juggling,
more-than-3-ball juggling, club passing, and use of other props may also
be covered. Bring any props you may already have! 1 hour.

Organized Crime In The Middle Ages -Gruffudd Ap Cadfael A brief look at
the Medieval "underworld" and how it operated. 1 hour.

Great Coats -Annejke This class is an over view of Great Coats throughout
SCA period in Europe.  It includes history, patterns, pictures and hands
on examinations of construction.  Learn the differences between various
types of coats and winter coverings including Great Coats, Great Capes,
Dutch Coats.  1 hour.

Paper Making -Annejke This class goes into some of the basic history and
construction of  paper and various writing mediums. 2 hours with hands on
$5 per person limit 20, very messy.

Courtesy and the Art of Flirting -Beornheard This hybrid medieval-modern
class will examine the subjects of courtesy and flirting as seen from a
medieval perspective and as practiced in the SCA.  The intent of the
class is to draw on medieval literary and modern scholarly sources to
inform and shape our current practice.  Some emphasis will be placed on
forms of address, patterns of courtly speech, the rules of courtly love
and their real meaning.  The class will also examine the many
opportunities available at SCA events to demonstrate one's passion.  The
class will mix lecture, discussion, and on-your-feet practice. 2 hours.

Basic Brewing -Tadhg macAedain uiChonchobhair Meads, beers, wines,
cordials. The basic class for getting started in brewing. Discuss basic
mechanics, materials, sources, and recipes. 1 hour.

Intermediate Cordial Making  -Havelyard of Bourne Examine the details of
making period cordials. Discuss extant copies of period recipes and
modern ways of making them. 1 hour.

Hops, The Bitter Herb -Terafan Greydragon The history and politics of
beer brewing. Examine the discovery of hops, its introduction into beers,
and the politics of crossing the Channel. 1 hour.

Royal Brewer's Round Table - Tadhg macAedain How do you tell a brewer
from a drinker, at a glance? Well, drinking is a process of consumption
while brewing is a process of creation. So, as creators, there is one
thing which brewers love almost more than their brew, and that's talking
about their brew. Come by and join the discussion. Bring problems,
questions, or curiosity. A collection of past notables will be available
to discuss, correct, entertain, and reminisce. 2 hours.

Fundamentals of Sword and Shield -Dafydd ap Gwystl and Gyrth Oldcastle
This class is intended for fighters from novice to moderately-skilled.
Topics covered will include stances, blow-throwing, proper shield use,
movement, recovery, and so on.  This is a hands-on class; please bring
loose non-constraining clothing.  No armor is required; no actual combat
will occur.  Please bring a sword, stick, wiffle bat, broom handle, or
some other sword-simulation 32"-36" long.  There is a class limit of 12
students; this limit may be extended if sufficient teacher's aides can be
recruited to assist the teachers. 1 hour.

Renaissance Card Games -Dafydd ap Gwystl This class will involve learning
and playing some common card games of the Renaissance.  A small class
handout will describe the rules of four common and entertaining card
games of the Renaissance: Putt, Primero, Reversis, and Triomphe Forcee.
There will be sufficient time to actually play two or three of the
games.  There will be a class limit of 16. 1 hour.

Institutional History of Heraldry -Pedro de Alcazar The role of the later
medieval  herald in history (especially in the Hundred Years War) and in
romance. 1 hour.

Heraldic Monsters -Aodhan Doilfin An introduction to the heraldic
imagination, this course provides an
overview of mythical and monstrous creatures found in SCA and mundane
heraldry. Information presented will include background, default
position, proper color and restrictions on use, if any, for each
creature. Examples of registered armory will also be provided. 1 hour.

Titles and Precedence -Evan da Collaureo  Who's that guy in the funny
hat? What's the difference between a Count and a Duke? Where does the
phrase "below the salt" come from and what does it mean? What's a Henway?
Come and learn about that most peculiar of art forms, SCA titles. 1 hour.

Court Heraldry -Conrad von Regenburg Learn the ins and outs of acting as
a court herald, both to try this odd hybrid of performance art and
administration for yourself and to better appreciate good court heraldry
when you see it. 1 hour.

Canting an Allusive Arms -Jaelle of Armida I've been asking various
heralds to do this class for years. Careful what you wish for! Learn
about the heraldic art of the visual pun. Find out how to make your arms
describe yourself in a medieval style. 1 hour.

Designing an SCA Name -Tirloch of Tallaght How to devise a name for use
in the SCA that bears a resemblance to medieval names and is meets with
the approval of the SCA College of Arms. 1 hour.

Revenge of the Son of Flash Card Herald -Leifr Johansson He's back. The
Flash Card Herald  has upgraded his set of cards to include all the
Atlantian groups with devices. He still has a full set of Atlantian royal
peers. In a surreal display reminiscent of your fourth grade social
studies class combined with a Trivial Pursuit <tm> game on too much
coffee, the Flash Card Herald will attempt to educate, challenge, and
entertain. 1 hour.

The Young Anachronist's Bookshelf -Melisande de Belvoir and Michael
Oldcastle of Ravenspur A discussion of the best in books written for
children about the Middle Ages and Renaissance, including picture books,
fiction, and nonfiction. We will provide a select book list and some
conversation about kids' books in general and books about our period in
particular. Come and bring your favorites to share! Parents, kids, and
all friends of kiddy lit are welcome. 1 hour.

Y-y-y-ou want me to D-d-d-dance?  -TBA  Scary stuff, huh? Well, it
doesn't hurt (much).  Our highly qualified team of dance proselytizers,
all of whom are guaranteed to have once known nothing at all about dance,
will familiarize you with the basic forms of Medieval/SCA dance, and
teach several dances commonly seen at events. 1 hour.

Moving On -Aislynn Fyrlocc  Intermediate Bransles and Easy Country
Dances. Building on information provided in the previous class, we will
teach more complex bransles (Bransle d' Charlotte) and beginning Country
Dances. The previous class is not required. 1 hour.

But Galliards are FUN!  -Gregory Blount  Class will teach the history and
basics of Galliards.  Some dance experience needed. (Chancellor General's
Warning: Galliards involve jumping about like a madman and, tho great
fun, can involve mild stress to the knees.) 1 hour.

Those Silly Italians -Aislynn Fyrlocc A basic introduction to Italian
dances.  The building blocks, step and style, will be taught along with
one or two dances. 1 hour.

Hey, what? -Antoine An introduction to different Hay styles found in
English Country Dances. 1 hour.

Understanding Historical Sources -Aislynn Fyrlocc General overview of
what to look for when you're looking at sources, and what they can and
cannot tell you about the topic you are researching.  Research topics
touched on will be largely in Material Culture, (Costumes, Hair,
Jewellery, and other "objects"), but other areas (processes) will be
touched on. 1 hour.

Instrumental Jam Session -Anne of Carthew This is an opportunity make
music that doesn't have to be for dancing. Music will be furnished
(difficulty will be from advanced-beginner to intermediate).  Bring your
instrument(s) and a stand if you have one.

Cantigas de Santa Maria -Chriemhilt von Regensburg  We'll explore the
hundreds of 13th century Spanish melodies  that celebrate the miracles of
Saint Mary.  The music has Arabic influences and is quite playable.
Musical instruments are welcome but not necessary.

Choir -Anne of Carthew Yet another chance to learn some 3 to 4-part
period vocal music. We'll be working on two French Chansons and one
two-voice organum (a polyphonic version of chant). No
experience necessary. afternoon

Troubadors, Trouveres and Jongleurs -Efenwealt Wystle Popular music in
the 12th and 13th centuries. Course includes examples and discussion of
the performers, their poetry, etc. 1 hour.

Beginning Bodhran (rhymes with sporran) -Efenwealt Wystle History and
beginning playing technique of this traditional Irish drum, now quite
popular in most Celtic music. Learn to care for your drum, where to buy
one, what to look for. Instruments not necessary but helpful. Some
loaners available. 1 hour. Class limit: 10.

Poets and Patrons -Deirdre O'Siodhachain A look at the practice of
literary patronage primarily using the example of three famous poets: de
Pisan, Ariosto, and Spenser, although some reference will be made to
others. An examination of the facts presents some conclusions contrary to
the popular image of the poor starving artist dependent on the good will
of a lofty patron. The nature of poetic dedications will be touched on as
well. 1 hour.

Introduction to Lace -Allasondrea de Fano Identification of lace and how
it was made, finding modern or machine-made lace that looks period, and
use of lace in SCA costuming.  Handouts will be provided. 1 hour.

Tambour -Celynen of Stow on the Wold Learn the fine Japanese and Arabic
technique of Tambour embroidery.  This form resembles a chain stitch, but
it is done with a hook instead of a needle.  Class fee covers supplies
needed; however, you may bring your own. Supplies needed:  Medium hoop,
an open woven cloth, size 10 crochet hook, and crotchet thread (not
floss). 1 hour. Class limit: 10. Lab fee: $3.

Tablet Woven Brocading -Tangwystl ferch Dafydd Examine several examples
of brocaded belts and vestments (9th to 15th century) woven on tablets,
and review the various techniques used to create them.  There will also
be a brief overview of similar designs created using different
techniques. 1 hour.

History of Felting -Bleiddianwyn Y Lwynn-onnn Explore felting throughout
history.  Discover the versatility and  period usage of this early craft.
1 hour.

Tablet Woven Edgings -Claire de Crecy The techniques of tablet weaving an
edging suitable for binding textiles will be demonstrated.  These edgings
were used in the 14th and 15th centuries on clothing and pouches. 1 hour.

Medieval Brocades -Earnwyn von Zwaluwenburg Come explore some common
patterns and themes in European brocades from the 1300s to the 1500s.  We
will also discuss examples of what can be found in your local fabric
store. 1 hour.

Textile Discussion -S.W.A.T.  Those wild and crazy folks of Spun, Warped,
And Twisted invite you to an open chat about the thing they all care
about: plenty of fiber. 1 hour.

A Timeline of Costume History -Wrynne of Wistan A whirlwind overview of
shapes and styles of clothing from (n) BC to 1603. The ebb and flow of
fashion, exaggeration, attenuation, and thematic abandonment of ideals of
beauty in waves. This is heady stuff. Wrynne's class is 3 hours long; but
she tells me folks are welcome to come and go as they please, depending
on what era they find of interest.

Build Your Own Sonnet -Gyrth Oldcastle of Ravenspur I'm not a poet; but
this course blurb is written. When Gyrth reads this page, he might birth
a kitten. Technique and style in the poetic form of the sonnet. The class
will write a new sonnet as a cooperative venture. 2 hours.

A Quiet Feast Among Friends -Fritz just Fritz The art of period cooking
and the art of the dinner party are separate from that of the SCA
"feastocrat". You can pursue these delightful art forms without
committing yourself to an institutional-level meal for 200 people. Fritz
will introduce you to the deep satisfaction of hosting a small circle of
friends to an exotic period meal cooked in your home. 1 hour.

The Mercenary Bard -Yaakov Hamizrachi  What is it?  Why it's a good
thing, and how to pull it off. 1 hour.

Jewish Astrology -Yaakov Hamizrachi The title says it all. Hey, I don't
get offered a course like this every day. I had to say "yes". 1 hour.

Rhetoric -Phillip Bell This class will familiarize you with period
formats of rhetoric, the prevalant modes, tropes, and figures. Learn the
basic patterns of discourse, and feel your persona begin to come alive in
speech. 1 hour.

Grammar -Phillip Bell To continue, this class addresses period
grammatical concerns, including spelling, punctuation, proper use of
"st" and "th" suffixes (hast, hath, e.g.), of thee, thou, thine, et
cetera. In the closing exercise, each student will compose a letter in
persona.

German Greatsword -Strykar Introduces the renowned German school of
longsword fighting, which persisted over 3 centuries (early 14th through
early 17th centuries). The German masters believed that the long sword
provided the foundation for all other weapons, as it was used in 3
different ways:  two-handed (when unarmored), one-handed (on horseback),
and with the left hand on the blade (when in armor).  Course covers the
history and the founder of the tradition, Johannes Liectenaurs, and
primary source material.  Lecture will describe the langen-schwert, and
the basic philosophies, tenets, concepts and techniques of armored and
unarmored combat..  Focus will be on signature half sword (halb-schwert)
techniques in handarbeit (hand to hand) range. Nearly all the armored
sword techniques (on foot) in the German manuals are half sword
techniques  -- that is, with the left hand gripping the blade. German
manuals explicitly advise against cutting at an armored opponent --
thrusting was seen as the only effective attack. Also covered will be
attacks from a number of different crossings of the blade (Anbinden)
using sensing or gauging the opponent's intent (Fuehlen).

There will be hands-on demonstrations drawn from period manuals,
attendees are encouraged to bring bastard swords, and are reminded that
half sword techniques, while historically valid, are not within the
permitted uses of greatswords, but are with polearms within the SCA. 2
hours. This course description was originally much longer; but I sent the
remainder to the Oak. -Henry.

Rapier and Cloak -Gerlach Weisengrund  I have to assume that, in the
rapier community, the sword is mightier than the pen; because I don't
have very many course descriptions from these guys.

Advanced Single Rapier -Giacomo Vincenti In fairness, the titles pretty
much tell you everything you want to know. 1 hour.

Rapier and Buckler -Phillip Bell But, I mean, Phillip is also teaching
rhetoric and grammar. Hmm, must be a left-brain right-brain thing. 1 hour.

Women in Fighting -Isobel Gildingwater of Ditchingham I think I have an
old writeup around here for a similar class; but I'm having too much fun.
1 hour.

Rapier Marshallate -Allan Gravesend There is a trend here. I've got 6
hours of marshalling classes and only 7 hours in the day. If you are a
marshall and you have any interest in A&S, just promise yourself you will
pay close attention next Unevent. Tell 'em I said you could take a poetry
class, instead. 1 hour.

Schlager -Allan Gravesend & Giacomo Vincenti Yep its here, lets talk
about it. (Let's be fair: I didn't write that. Giacomo gets credit for
that writeup.) 1 hour.

Basic Armor construction -Gregoire de Conteville I'll be running out of
clever things to say, soon. 1 hour.

Italian Renaissance Armor construction -Vivian Broussard Of course, some
folks probably think I passed that point a while back. 1 hour.

Rapier and Dagger -Geoffrey Gamble Yup, definitely crossed the line
between clever and ludicrous a while back. 1 hour.

Rapier 101 -Robert of Lochmere  Excellent beginning rapier course.
(Giacomo gets credit for this one, too. I assume Robert is too modest to
have said this himself.) 2 hours.

Contemporary Honor and Courtesy -Ceridwyn ferch Owain This class will
instruct rapier fighters and who ever else wishes to attend on exactly
what behavior is found acceptable on the field.  We will also explore how
this code of conduct applies to situations off the field.

Seneschal 101 -Terafan Greydragon  A frank discussion of the art and
science of herding cats. If you are a wanna-be seneschal, a new
seneschal, a passable seneschal, a wise and venerable old hand with
something to share, or a seneschal widow, there is something here for you.

Thrones R Us -Stephan of Cambion The Storvik thrones are light and
portable and yet they hold 350 pounds without so much as a creak. Stephan
"wild man" Cambion will show you how to make a set.

Yurts R Us -Corun mac Anndra  How to design and build a Mongolian yurt
from the ground up. The course will include hands-on experience setting
up Corun's yurt, so you can examine this fabulous technology as up close
and personal as you want.

Mongol Persona & Costume -Chai'usun Corun's anda loves teaching. She has
vowed to teach in EVERY kingdom in the known world. It is my great
privilege to host her classes as she passes through Atlantia on her
pilgrimage. 1 hour.

The Medieval Herb Garden -Chai'usun  You can grow your own. It isn't out
of your reach. Chai'usun will show you how to select your herbs, care for
them, and use them afterwards. You know, I must make a point to ask this
lady what her name means. If it was Chai'ursun, I might guess it means
"Drinks Tea with Bears". 1 hour.

Marshall: Authorization - William the Stout Kingdom armor standards,
inspection techniques, and proper authorization procedures. Theoretical
input and hands-on-experience.

Marshall: Tournaments - William the Stout Marshalls' duties and
conventions of combat as they relate to armored combat tournaments. This
is an interactive class with on-field situations. Class limit: 20.

Marshall: Melees - William the Stout Identify marshall responsibilities
in the organization and execution of melee activities. Event planning,
battle scenarios, and reporting requirements.

Marshal: Philosophy - William the Stout Philosophy and policies of the
marshalate.

Lost Wax Casting  -Chirhart Blackstar  Both I and Chirhart have dreamed
of offering you this class _hands-on_ but fate and Murphy have always
conspired against us. At last, that dream will come true. Come explore
the period technology which will give you the power to cast any little
metal dingus you want from all those museum pictures and portraits. Damn,
but I'm excited! Class limit: 20.

Pipe and Tabor -Robyyan Torr d'Elandris Pipe and Tabor is the one-man
band of the renaissance. One person can play both melody and percussion,
the basic necessities for useful enjoyable dance music. We will learn
one-stick drum technique and the three-hole tabor pipe. The lab fee buys
you a tabor pipe, a drumstick, and a bit of music to get you started. If
you bring your own tabor pipe, we may let you in beyond the class limit.
Lab fee: $15. Class limit: 6.

Cheating the Cheater: Period Techniques - Rabah az-Zafar Some people
treat gambling as if there were only two kinds of people in the world,
wise-guys and suckers. These nefarious wise-guys will even stoop to
shifty methods to eliminate the element of chance, lining their pockets
with your coin! What's a sucker, ummm I mean, what are Gentlefolk, simply
seeking amusement, to do? Fight back! Wise up! Learn what to watch out
for as documented in period sources.

Archery Marshalling -Dealla Cohen A class on archery safety. Intended for
marshalls and anyone interested in _not_ sticking nasty holes in your
friends.

Mud Pies 101 -Johanna Handscombe A hands-on beginning class in the making
of pottery. We will learn to coil form and decorate a late middle ages
style earthenware mug, which you will take home with you. Over the course
of our work, we will discuss everything you need to know to get started
in this civilization making technology, equipment, resources, period
techniques, decoration, etc. This is an all-day town class; but there may
be time for you to play hooky for perhaps an hour in the afternoon.  Lab
fee $1.50. Class Limit: 6.

(Mostly) Scabbards -Damon Argent We will show you how to make a good
leather scabbard. You can walk away with a snug fitting scabbard in 2
hours. We will be set up all day with a working leather shop and a show &
tell exhibit of various leather articles. Frankly, if you ask us, we'll
teach you to make pretty much anything in leather, if we can figure out
how. We've been your one-stop all-day University leather shoppe
continuously for four years, since the last time UA was held at GMU.
Variable (at cost reimbursement) lab fee or bring your own leather.

Knit and Spin Practicum -Ariane la Fileuse Have you started a project--or
want to--but have reached an
standstill?  Would you like to learn knitting and/or spinning?  Then
drop-in on this morning long session of useful advice and sharing of
knowledge.

Felting Practicum -Bleiddianwyn Y Lwynn-onnn If you enjoyed
Bleiddianwyn's felting history in the morning or are interested in the
felting process, come join her for hands-on demonstration and practice in
felting in the afternoon. 3 hours.