S'mores (was Re: Graham Crackers (was Re: Marshmallows))

Greetings, Internettles!  I notice with interest, this:

> "I know I have some Graham cakes recipes somewhere though, so we
> improvise."
>
> Sounds good, but again -- even graham flour is not period.  The earliest
> reference I can find to that is ca. 1834, referring to the whole wheat
> flour marketed by Sylvester Graham [...]

But let us suppose that Dr. Graham made this flour in reaction to refined
white flour, and that before the flour refining process was invented, all
wheat flour was whole wheat, but not _called_ graham flour.

But in order to have graham _crackers_, we must bake it without leavening.
Now who would bake bread without leavening?  Jews observing Passover,
of course.  Now, the other traditional food of Passover is the chocolate-
covered coconut maccaroon, but since coconuts would be impossible to obtain
in Medieval Europe, we must suppose that they made the maccaroons with
marshmallow root.

Besides Passover, another Jewish festival is Sukkos, which is observed by
living in tents for a time in remembrance of the time the Hebrews lived in
the wilderness.  So, we have a group of people who lived in the Period,
in Europe, going on camping trips at least once a year, with whole-wheat
crackers and chocolate-covered marshmallows.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Therefore, S'mores are Period.  QED.

-- Alfredo

--
Alfredo el Bufon