INFO: Attn. Brewers and Vintners

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Greetings unto the patrons of the Merry Rose, and to the Noble Brewers
and Vintners of the Kingdom.

It has recently come to my attention that it is now possible to produce
Mongolian koumiss readily and easily in the comfort of your home, without
having to milk or even own your own mare.

Land O' Lakes manufactures a dried mare's milk product for breeders of
horses called Mare's Match. One of my Anda has discovered this product
and is in the process of making some test batches of koumiss now. He
has said that all you have to do is add water and brewer's yeast and
it's ready to go. The product is very high in lactose and contains
about 16% fat. It also produces a lot of lactic acid which he suspects
might kill the yeast before the alcohol does, so he's going to experiment
with inhibitors (wood ash is the only one I recall of the list he gave).

For those of you interested (or brave) enough to try some of this, I
invite you to Moritu Horde camp at Pennsic this year where I am assured
we will have *lots* of koumiss (the smallest quantity of Mare's Match
you can get is a 25 pound bag). My Anda is also using the ferment as
a starter for a type of sourdough bread. The first batch came out, in
his description, as a sort of sourdough cake. Weird but good.

Alright, you can all stop laughing now and get back to our regularly
scheduled madness.

In service,
Corun

P.S. Tadgh, I expect to see you at Pennsic for this. ;-)