MR-Disc: Song copyright

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

>   > 3. I sing ["MS&C"] at a bardic circle, to a larger audience.
>
>   Effectively a private party, no money involved, cool.
>
> I disagree: because you have not invited the audience, it isn't in your
> home, and it is something of a public performance, it is a violation of
> the copyright: even if it is not one that could generate a legal response.

If it can't generate a legal response, that leaves moral and ethical
grounds as possible reasons to avoid singing "MS&C" at a bardic circle.
Might it harm AEd the Bard, and/or make him tend to give up composing?
("I was going to buy that Errantry tape, but now that I heard Effen
sing that song from it, I don't have to.")  I don't see it.

On a separate but related note, what are the copyright obligations
regarding filk songs?  Would I owe Don MacLean anything if any of
the following hypothetical situations came to pass?

1. I sing, in the privacy of my own home, a song set to the tune
   of "American Pie", but with words that are substantially different.

2. I sing it to myself while washing dishes at an event.  Some people
   may or may not overhear.

3. I sing it at a bardic circle that only allows invited guest within
   earshot.

4. I sing it at a bardic circle that's open to all.

5. I post the words on the Rialto, but don't mention anything about a tune.

6. I post the words on the Rialto, and say "to the tune of 'American Pie'"

7. I post some other words on the Rialto, and say "to the tune of
   'American Pie'" although they are actually to a totally different
   tune of my own invention, and don't fit "American Pie" at all.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc.lucent.com