Re: parasites linked to berries

Poster: TamsinBark@aol.com

the center for disease control, etc still does not know exactly what kills or
creates the bacteria!! yes this is scary and apparantly the bacteria has been
found in frozen product also (at first they thought freezing the critters
would kill them but i guess not).  If using strawberries or raspberries I
would 1) make sure they are domestic only!!! and 2) give them a soak in soapy
water and then put in a rinse bath that has either a drop of bleach per
gallon of H2O or iodine solution (very weak) or use a leave on product from
Eco_lab called Sterbac-blue (ie this is the stuff institutional food service
or bars use to disinfect hand washed items) - pat berries dry . I know this
will kill the consistency but in my feeling better safe than sorry and get
the runs for 70 days and not know how to get well.  And obviously, you can
only do right before you eat and just the amount you want.

PS
all melons should be handled in the same manner before cutting open to serve.
 Obviously this is no warranty, guarantee, etc that you'll be safe.