Re: Disc: Pay-to-Fight

Poster: E L Wimett <SILVERDRAGON@Charleston.Net>

Terry L. Neill wrote:

> P.S. - I guess the cost of membership is relevant here.  If a membership
> card, good for nothing other than proving one was a member, was very cheap,
> I might re-think some of my opposition on Pay-To-Whatever.  AK

I wouldn't.

The basic issue for me is not merely the cost of membership as opposed to the benefits.

Even more basic is the fact that the membership has NO mechanism for effective control of the manner in which Society funds are expended
or policies made, as was once again illustrated in the "late unpleasantness".  The Board which governs us is self-perpetuating and there
are NO elective offices.

This has been an issue for many of us for years.  I have stated repeatedly that I would not have a problem with requiring membership if
there were a truly representative Board.  As our answers once said,

"No taxation without representation"