Re: Disc: Pay-to-Fight

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>

Gregory Stapleton <gregsta@MICROSOFT.com> wrote(in part):

>If I understand rightly, you [Edward] are saying that the $20.00 membership
fee,
>for an associate membership, may put a financial burden on a new or
>occassional player
>much info on cost to buy armor snipped<

The issue here is whether it is a Good Thing (tm) to require a fighter to be
a member of the SCA to obtain an authorization card in Atlantia.

I think that should be debated on it's own merits, regardless of whether the
cost to be a member is $1 or $1,000. And regardless of the cost to buy any
types of gear.

One is NOT required to be a member to attend an event, enter an Arts and
Sciences contest, marshal a fight, herald a court, shoot arrows at (non-
moving) targets, teach a class, run racing hounds, ride horses, bear water,
walk security patrol, man the Troll, cook a feast, dance, sing, flirt, etc.

One IS required to be a member to hold an office, fight for or be fought for
in Crown, Autocrat an event, or obtain an authorization card. (Did I leave
anything out?)

Is this a state of affairs wanted by the populace and Crown of Atlantia?

I'm very much AGAINST requiring membership for anything non-legal (such as
officers, Crowns and Autocrats). (The debate over which officers should have
a membership requirement, why, should the Crowns be required, should
Autocrats be required, etc. is hereby TABLED to another discussion!)

But I am one person.  What does the Kingdom as a whole think?  (And don't
forget, we on the Merry Rose are NOT the Kingdom as a whole!)

        - Anarra

P.S. - I guess the cost of membership is relevant here.  If a membership
card, good for nothing other than proving one was a member, was very cheap,
I might re-think some of my opposition on Pay-To-Whatever.  AK