RE: MR: Disc: Pay-to-Fight

Poster: Gregory Stapleton <gregsta@MICROSOFT.com>

Greetings, Milord Edward,

I believe I understand the position you are taking on this, you spoke
yourself well, but I just cannot bring myself to accept your arguments.

If I understand rightly, you are saying that the $20.00 membership fee,
for an associate membership, may put a financial burden on a new or
occassional player, if they want to fight in the SCA:  heavy, archer or
rapier.  <Taking into account that anyone can play anything else they
want to in the SCA without having to become a member, except fighting.
Though, they may have to pay a small additional surcharge at events they
attend.>

I have recently become authorized to fight and I built most of my kit
myself or picked up pieces at local sporting goods stores that sell used
equipment for very little $$$.

Considering, by our Kingdom Laws (as I understand them), you must own
your own gear before your authorization, I spent the following money on
the following items (these are the minimums I would consider any fighter
to need and do not list all of the items in my kit):

	$40.00 for a sheet of 12 guage mild steel to make my spaggenhelm helmet
	$5.00 for the rivets for above
	$15.00 for a pair of elbows
	$8.00 for the elbow pads
	$20.00 for a pair of knees
	$10.00 for the knee pads
	$10.00 for a Jock Strap and Cup
	$15.00 for a weight lifter belt for Kidney protection
	$20.00 for a gorget
	$15.00 for a shield basket
	$15.00 for a sword basket
	$10.00 for a piece of Rattan
	$20.00 for a shield blank
	$8.00 for heater hose for shield edging
	$20.00 for assorted duct tape, straps, wire and buckles to hold the
gear on
	------------
Total:	$231.00

If I've had to spend this much, at a bare minimum (and I've tried to do
this as cheaply as I could). in order to fight, I'm not going to choke
at spending less than 10% more, in order to be able to authorize.

If the newbie / OP dosen't have $20.00 to pay for a membership in order
to be able to fight, they surely aren't going to have enough money to
put together their own kit, even building most of it themselves.

So, let's say that they don't have the money for a
fighter's/archer's/fencer's equipment or the $20.00 for an associate
membership.  Where does this leave them?  Only with about a million
other things that they can do in the Arts and Sciences within our
Society.  Remember, fighting is only half of our ticket, though a very
important half it is.  As much as I am coming to love fighting, my first
four years in the Society have been devoted primarily to A&S and it will
always be my first love.  There are so many things I want to do and try
in the Arts and Sciences, within our Society, my current greatest fear
is one lifetime will not be enough to do all of them.

I just cannot see the membership requirement as being considered
exclusionary.

I mean no disrespect by this reply, I'm just trying to hash it out
logically to the best of my meager ability.

YIS,
Lord Gawain Kilgore