Re: MR: Disc: Pay-to-Fight

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

I recently mentioned that the Pay-to-Fight law had many distressing
side-effects, prompting Konrad to ask

>   What are the many distressing side-effects?  The only thing I have heard so
>   far is not wanting to pay $20 for an associate membership to be able to
>   authorize.

I do not number this as an effect of the Pay-to-Fight rule.  I believe that
only very rarely is it this law that makes a person not want to pay for a
membership.

Tibor lists a number of distressing side-effects, including

>   It provides yet more cash to a Board that has a long history of poor
>   custodianship of its funds.

I would like to add to his list the side-effect that started this thread,
namely, that at least one gentle has been excluded from fighting in our
Society because he had a scruple against providing that cash to that Board.

I call this a _side_-effect because I have been assured that it was not the
intent of the law.  Why I call it a _distressing_ side-effect is harder to
explain, since I myself blithely pay for full membership, even though I'm not
a fighter.  But somehow, it does distress me.

Please note that I am NOT saying that any currently-authorized Atlantian
fighters are unscrupulous; I am only saying that, by kingdom law, no
authorized fighter has this particular scruple.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc.lucent.com