Re[2]: Disc: Pay-to-Fight <LONG>

Poster: "Chuck Graves" <chuck_graves@mail.hq.faa.gov>

Greetings, all.

>I have been on the autocrating team for 13 events (if you include the two
>upcoming ones).  I have required the insurance three times.  I live in a major
>metropolitan area, by the way.

>Once again: the facts so frequently cited in support of paying membership
>dues, simply don't have a good grounding in fact.

Tibor, it probably depends on the particular ground you stand. It appears
that you have only been required to produce proof of insurance for less than
25% of your events. Count your blessings.

I also live in a major metropolitan area--albeit, profoundly steeped in the
concepts of bureaucracy. I have had to produce the same proof of insurance
for EVERY event and fighter practice site--absolutely 100%. Unfortunately, I
know of no exceptions to that rule down here.

However, that is not to say that I support pay-to-play or pay-to-fight. Or
that I oppose rigorous efforts to decentralize the mechanics of the SCA. I
do believe that the BOD is necessary--I would just like to see a somewhat
"smaller" BOD, i.e., less omnipotent.

Regards,
Tadhg
(Ominpotence without omniscience is damn dangerous.)