Re: MR: Disc: Saber es poder

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

> >> It is also impossible, if you don't know everything, then you don't
> >> KNOW what you can't do, therefore you're not omnipotent.
>
> Actually, no. It has very easy to have power well in excess of your
> comprehension. You don't have to look very far to find examples, Leifr.
[...]
> >Omniscience is an incidental byproduct of omnipotence. If one is
> >all-powerful, then amongst one's powers is omniscience.
>
> Now, now, Henry. Surely, knowledge and power are separable quantities. Of
> course, if you accept the paradigm that "Knowledge is power", then your
> assertion is actually backward--omnipotence is an incidental byproduct of
> omniscience...oohhh...that would be Leifr's basic assumption.

Non sequitur.  Leifr said that omniscience was _necessary_ for omnipotence,
but he didn't say it was _sufficient_.
"You can't open that box without the key" is NOT the same thing as
"If you have the key, you can open that box."
The box might be buried under a mile of rock.

"Knowledge is power" is the phrase I was groping for.  The Bartlett
home page (http://www.columbia.edu/acis/bartleby/bartlett/) claims that
Francis Bacon said that in "Meditationes Sacrae. De Haeresibus." and
went on to say, "Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est."

Mr. Bartlett adds a footnote that reads,

     A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.
          --Proverbs xxiv. 5.

     Knowledge is more than equivalent to force.
          --Samuel Johnson: Rasselas, chap. xiii.

I hope this helps.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon