Re:heartache

Poster: Annejke@prodigy.com (MS MARTHA L WALLENHORST)

I have been watching this exchange in silence for a while but I feel
compelled to put in a word.  As the editor of the Compleat
Anachronist I travel the known world (either in person, on the phone,
or on the net) and talk with many new people every month.  Often the
first thing a person from another kingdom asks is where I live.  I
reply 'Atlantia' and duck!  In 9 out of 10 cases I am then regaled
with horror stories of this visiting fighter, or that person who just
moved here from, or do you know what one of YOUR fighters did to ...
at the ... war I was at, or simply the question: Are all your
fighters jerks or just the ones who have come here?

 My husband stopped fighting several years ago when he had his hand
broken in battle and was laughed at by his opponent (who was a good
foot taller than him and probably a 100 pounds heavier), as he went
in shock and collapsed on the field.  To this day no one has asked
him what happened, or why he wasn't fighting anymore, and he was a
trainer at Gunston for three years.

  I am polite about the fighters when questioned and simply reply
that my husband doesn't fight any more so I am not as familiar with
them as I used to be.  Then I get on with business.  It is very
distressing to know that the reputation on ones kingdom is tarnished
but Atlantia is.  I will continue to duck, be polite and get on with
life, it would simply be nicer if I didn't have to duck first.

Annejke