Re: Tolerance

Poster: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy@abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>

  While I agree with what you said about practicing intolerance, I do have a
  few questions about putting it into practice.  Should I refuse to fight
  those that practice poor acknowledgement or wait and bow out of an
  engagement when I feel that I am unable to deliver a telling blow?  Thorvald
  and I have discussed this a number of times and he has often opined that he
  will just continue to adjust his blow upwards in force, and if his opponent
  still wants to call it light, let him.  Since that isn't exactly an option
  for me :), I am wondering what you would suggest.

I recall a story (told over and over again about many different people), where
two combatants exchanged a series of blows, to no affect.  Again, they
exchanged blows to no result.  One of the two combatants backs out of range,
waits a second, and falls down.  When asked why he fell down, the answer came:
"I know that last blow I threw had to kill *someone*: it must have been me!"

In rapier combat, while I have rarely had the situation arise, I call hold,
and re-calibrate.  I've done that several times during a bout: and it gets the
message across.  I don't know if there is a tournament combat equivalent.

My rapier philosophy has always been to "show my opponent a good time".

	Tibor